The Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Flemington, New Jersey, are a community of cloistered, contemplative religious under solemn vows. By their style and way of life, they express their call to follow Our Lord ever more closely in silence and solitude. Prayer, both communal and solitary, is the center of this life.
Mother Mary Magdalen of Jesus Crucified, then Prioress of the Morristown Carmel, was inspired to make a foundation in response to Our Lady of Fatima's call for prayer and penance. She was grateful when Bishop Griffin of Trenton welcomed the new community into his Diocese. The new monastery was established in New Brunswick, New Jersey on a 3 ½ acre property, which included a large old house.
The living room was converted into a chapel, and the adjoining dining room was set up as choir. The first Mass was celebrated October 15, 1949 on the feast of our Holy Mother, Saint Teresa of Avila.
From the beginning, a group of Hungarian Franciscans were faithful friends and served as chaplains for more than 35 years. Bishop George Ahr, successor to Bishop Griffin, was also an enthusiastic supporter, as well as the first of a large group of Tertiaries.
Our community remained in New Brunswick until 1956, when we moved to a large rural property on the outskirts of Flemington. Coincidently, the hillside where the new monastery was built had been called 'Mount Carmel', named by early Protestant settlers in the 1600's.
The monastery served our community well for 16 years, but eventually the large buildings and the work and expense of maintaining such an endeavor became a burden to the community. A decision was made to find a more manageable location. In 1972 the property was sold to the Little Sisters of the Poor and the community moved into our present location on Harmony School Road. Here we enjoy our 'mini-farm', which provides an inspiring location to carry out our ministry of prayer. We are blessed to have a resident chaplain from the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI), this Order has been a great help to the community in recent years.
Our monastery has a public chapel with daily and Sunday Mass, Sunday Benediction, as well as a monthly Holy Hour to pray for priests. Visitors can stop by our small gift shop where hand-crafts, honey from our 'Glory Bee' apiary, rosaries and a selections of books and cards produced by our own Saint Teresa's Press are available. Visitors and prayer requests are always welcome.
God has abundantly blessed our Carmel. He has inspired new vocations and supports us in our daily lives. We are thankful.
To see other aspects of our life, click one of the images below.
Click on the binoculars to get Glimpses of Carmel.